In this course, you will learn the skills needed to produce data visualisations with Adobe Illustrator, while gaining some knowledge in best charting practices. While there are there are plenty of programs and resources out there that can generate charts without coding, Adobe Illustrator has the ability to both generate charts and also allow for complete customisation.
The course begins by establishing a foundational understanding of the software: creating documents, identifying and navigating the interface, understanding vector graphics, drawing and manipulating shapes, working with colour, typography, and successfully publishing projects.
After the foundations have been laid, the course then moves onto focusing on learning both the technical skills used to produce a wide range of charts, along with some theory behind each chart. With Adobe Illustrator, you’ll be able to publish your charts or info-graphics for both digital devices or print projects. We’ll also cover how to make your charts responsive to adapt for changing screen sizes.
Who is this course for?
For those with no prior knowledge of Adobe Illustrator, looking to use it for data visualisation focused projects. This could include:
• Data visualisation practitioners looking to produce customised visualisations
• Data journalists
• Info-graphic designers
• Digital marketers
• Anyone looking to produce data visualisation graphics but with no programming skills
We will assume little or no prior knowledge of Adobe Illustrator in this course but you should have a basic working knowledge of either the Windows or Mac interface as well as some basic knowledge of spreadsheet software such as Microsoft Excel.
What you will learn
By the end of the course, you should have a good foundational grasp of Adobe Illustrator, along with the ability to fully utilise the Graph Tools to produce data visualisations for print and digital projects.
You will also learn:
• Some background on each chart type, such as it’s usefulness particular types of data, any strengths and weakness.
• How to ‘hack’ the Graph Tools to produce additional types of charts
• How to make your visualisation responsive on changing screen sizes
Setting up Illustrator Projects
• Creating a new document
• Identify project requirements
• Identify user interface elements
• Create and select Workspaces
• Navigate and zoom documents
• Learn the difference between vector and raster image formats
• Using the shape and line tools to create basic geometry
• Using the pen tool to create custom shapes and trace maps
• Selecting and Grouping objects
• Transform and modify elements
• Apply transparency to objects
• Create and manipulate text
• Organise artwork using layers
• Create and manage multiple Artboards
• Create symbols
• Selecting and applying colours
• Creating colour swatches
• Applying and modifying gradients
• Working with spot colours
• Define media formats and publishing requirements
• Identifying common file formats
• Choose appropriate settings to optimise graphics on the screen, print and video
• Creating JPEG, PDF, PNG, SVG
• Info-graphics VS Data Visualisation
• Understanding Each Chart
• Best Charting Practices
The Graph Tools
• The Graph Data Window
• Column Graph Tool and Bar Graph Tool
• Stacked Column Graph Tool and Stacked Bar Graph Tool
• Line Graph Tool
• Area Graph Tool
• Scatter Graph Tool
• Pie Graph Tool
• Radar Graph Tool
Format and Customise The Graph Tools
• Graph Type Menu
• Graph Design Menu
• Graph Column Menu
• Graph Marker Menu
• Combine Different Graph Types
• Modifying Drawn Graphs
Exploiting The Graph Tools to Create Additional Charts
• Creating a Dot Plot
• Creating a Unit Chart or Pictogram Chart
• Creating a Dot Distribution Plot or Barcode Plot
• Creating Proportional Area Chart
• Creating a Slopegraph
Making Charts Responsive
• How to use ai2html
Worried about COVID-19?
Good News! All of our courses are offered virtually in the comfort of your home or offices.
Benefit from the Wisdom
Delivering Quality Training since 2006.
Training Budget Maximised!
Lower Price Match Guarantee & Flexible Training Vouchers
Practical, Cutting-Edge Training
From industry experienced professionals.
Work Faster, Earn More
Reduce your production time by improving all your workflow processes, best practices and shortcuts.
Gain a Competitive Edge
Boost your career by improving your skills and getting Accreditation.